The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield


I saw this book recommended all over the Booktube and book community and I found a second-hand copy in one of my favorite bookshops and picked it up on a whim.
This has been compared to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, which I've read before reading this novel and I can see the similarities.

What I most enjoyed about this book is the bookish theme that accompanies the reader throughout the story and the fact that we only get tidbits as to what really happened. Needing to know I finished this quite fast.

Content warning for abuse, sexual assault and incest.

The mystery surrounding the family involved will keep you on edge until the end and I bet that you won't ever guess the ending, which leads me to my rating.

I can only say that I wanted more resolution for our main character and her own story and I'm just not entirely satisfied with how it all played out. I can recommend this if you like bookish themed family mysteries with a dark atmosphere.

That's why this gets only 3.5 coffee cups out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts