Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh



I don't really know where to start with this. Before I get into the juicy details, let me say that I don't read a lot of romance/smut books, contemporary, medieval, regency, alien (Ice Barbarian series anyone?) or otherwise. 

The reasons for that are quite simple:
  • Most of them have way too much lusty and horny content, that are just cringe-worthy beyond measure. There are only so many times I can read the words throbbing, wetness, clenching or other.
  • Most of them aren't even "romantic". I have found the regency romances to be the most romantic as sub-genre.
  • Most of them have all too perfect characters. There is a huge gap when it comes to diversity. I'd love to read about not all perfect muscle-men and size 2 women with great assets. What about short people, people with disabilities and or other body types? I enjoyed The Kiss Quotient and the Bride Test by Helen Hoang, that's a great start, but dear authors please take this into consideration.
  • Consent is usually missing and a lot of the interactions between characters either border on or are sexual harassment (grabbing somebody and forcefully kissing them without their consent or touching them all over).
  • Insta-eternal love - one of my top hated tropes.

*spoiler alert*
Don't get me wrong, Nalini Singh can write, but I needed more background regarding the "glorified angel mafia". The characters were nothing special and I don't like aggro-male-possessiveness. Elena and Raphael were lusting after each other for the most part of the book and then we don't even get a sex scene. It's as if Nalini Singh wasn't able to decide if she wanted to fall under the smutty or not smutty category. For me personally you either leave it out or you need to go all the way.
After events unfold they're suddenly in eternal love and Elena changes into an angel, but that hasn't happened in eternity. No real explanation. What a load of rubbish.

Summary: I won't be continuing with this particular series, but I haven't given up on the author entirely yet. I will give Nalini Singh another chance at a later time. I have heard great things about her psy-changeling series.

⭐⭐

This was only a 2 out of 5 stars and the 2 stars are mostly for her writing style and that I actually finished the book.

I'd be happy to hear which one is your favorite Nalini Singh book?

Happy reading,
Anya

Comments

Popular Posts