Latitudes of Longing by Shubhangi Swarup


First of all both the US and UK cover for this book are stunning!

I would have to lie if I'd say that I didn't click on it to read the blurb on Netgalley just because of this beautiful cover art.

I am torn. The author's debut is written in a rich and lyrical style that flows from page to page. You can smell the flowers, hear the insects and feel the water lap around your feet. 
My biggest issue was the plot and story itself. Why I liked the first story about Chanda Devi, her husband, the ghosts and the birth of her daughter, I wanted to stay with this particular strand of story and not move to the next in a very abrupt way (and by the way, what the heck is up with mentioning his erection at the beginning and at the end of the story - I don't get it, sorry. If anybody could explain the particular symbolism or meaning, I'd be grateful).
The four parts were kind of interwoven, but after losing my main characters, I didn't care too much about Plato and the others. I feel if the author would have concentrated on a tighter plot and story line, this would have been a magnificent debut.

I will be watching this author, but for Latitudes of Longing only 3 coffee cups for the first 40% of the book and the beautiful writing style.

Thank you Netgalley and Quercus books for providing me with an eARC for an honest review.

Comments

Popular Posts