Chosen Ones - Veronica Roth


I wished for this a while ago and received this very unexpectedly via Netgalley last week.

Veronica Roth's Divergent series was great back in the day (this was released 2011 OMG!) and I was interested in reading her new stand-alone.

The premise sounded great. What happens after 5 chosen teenagers finished saving the world? We're dealing with lots of PTSD, depression, anxiety and substance abuse and I enjoyed the very dark atmosphere.
The prologue was done very well too. There are interview, excerpts and documents spread throughout the book and it gives you extra information and a better feel to what happened.

BUT I didn't like the pacing at all, it felt slow and boring and I didn't care about any of the main characters that were supposed to be adults, but still read like teenagers. I also wasn't sure as to what exactly the book wanted to be. Fantasy with steampunk elements? Dystopian mystery?
Some of the elements were very creative and some I could only shake my head at. Don't let me get started with "The Dark One". How unimaginative is that please? I do get that they're literally making fun at his name in the beginning, but really? Every time I read "The Dark One" I rolled my eyes.

Suffice to say is that I didn't like it that much. Hardcore Veronica Roth fans might still love this though. 

2 out of 5 coffee cups and I don't think I'll be continuing on with this series.


Comments

Popular Posts