Camelot by Giles Kristian


As soon as I saw Camelot on Netgalley I pressed the request button, as I enjoyed Lancelot the previous year.

Nothing really much happens until we're about 25% into the story and that is a long stretch for me. I was about to give up when the story picked up a bit. We're dealing with Galahad who's raised as a monk in a monastery after his father's death. Galahad is a stubborn young man in denial of his past and inheritance. After the Saxons attack the monastery and he needs to flee, he starts his journey through the country with legends and heroes of the past at his side.

I had high expectations going into this and they weren't met. My biggest issues were, that we do have a lot of characters, but we don't really get to know anyone. I usually have a clear picture of them in my head, but here we got wooden dialogue and forgettable content. I could sum the first 50% up in two or three sentences. There are lots of words on the page, but it feels like that they don't have any meaning at all. 
The characters live mostly in the past and talk or think about what happened years ago and how many times have they mentioned that they need to find Merlin until they actually do? We get lots of "Oh, we should do such and such!", but it takes them too long to do it. 
I was aware that Giles Kristian writes character studies and character driven books showing the internal struggle and emotions of his characters. 
Camelot was nothing like Lancelot and I struggled through finishing this book. I didn't buy into the romance with Iselle and I also wasn't a fan of the ending.

In the future I will still try more books from this author. This one was a miss.

2 out of 5 coffee cups for Camelot.

Thank you Netgalley and Randomhouse UK for providing me with an eARC.

Comments

Popular Posts