Aurora Burning by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff



Aurora Burning was one of my most anticipated YA titles for this year and I was super excited to have gotten approved for a Netgalley eARC.
The recap at the beginning was well done, as it has been quite awhile since I read the first book and I'm hoping that more publishers consider starting off with a recap.

After a few pages I already found my favorite quote of the whole book: 
"You let your male speak in public?"
The story, pacing and plot was great but then I had to read approximately one and a half pages about Scarlet's tits, her cleavage problems and boy issues, while one of her best friends died and the whole universe is on the brink of destruction. I thought to myself is there no other way you could've made her interesting of funny?
After those pages, every time I read something about somebody's crotch, underwear or breasts, I loudly groaned and rolled my eyes. 
It felt as if the authors were trying really hard to sound like a cool, hormone-filled adolescent and it just came out so incredibly cringey.
Another issue I faced was that I couldn't find much difference between the POVs I was currently reading and for me it wasn't clear enough. I had to backtrack to the beginning of the chapter to see whom I was currently reading about (except Scarlet, because there was either something about cleavage or her boyfriend pros and cons).

This would've been a 5 star read if not for those two points above, but I will still continue on with the series. That cliffhanger though.


Thank you Netgalley and Oneworld Publications for providing me with an eARC for review.
All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts